How do I get people to Like my Facebook page? Why do I want people to Share my posts? What’s the point of someone Liking a post? I’ve Liked the business page of company x but I still can’t find its posts in my timeline. Why?
Just some of the questions one of my clients asked yesterday evening. She’s relatively new to social media but it’s central to a new initiative she’s creating.
The number one message I wanted her to take away was it’s a conversation.
You’d never walk into a room full of people and just start saying what you want. You’d listen to what the others were talking about, then join their conversation.
The same is true for Facebook. It’s all about the conversation.
Here are a few of my tips for driving up engagement on your Facebook page:
- Be interesting. Get your own content right first and foremost. It’s got to be interesting to the people you walk to connect with, not just you. Make is challenging if you want to start a debate. It can be funny, quirky, thought provoking.
- Mix it up a bit. Photos and videos make great content. But you need more than that. Include promotions, offer great advice, share other people’s interesting content.
- Pick your time. Post when people are likely to see it. My client is a bit of a night owl so she was publishing her posts late in the evening but no one saw them. Use the Insights tab at the top of the page to find the best time.
- My client can post whenever she wants if she schedules them. Post it at midnight and schedule it for 6pm the next evening and everyone’s happy.
- Be responsive. Monitor your page and respond to comments quickly. Use Notifications to do this.
- Use # to find conversations. First you’ll see everyone in your existing network talking about the topic, then all the relevant public posts. Like, Share and Comment on the posts where you can.
- Use the right #s in your own posts. Then your posts can be found and you’ll be part of the conversation.
- Get involved. Use the search facility at the top to find suitable groups. Anyone can join an open group but have to be accepted by the administrator into closed groups. Anyone can see the content in open groups but only members can see the content of closed groups. Don’t worry about secret groups; unless you’ve set it up or friend already in one invites you, you won’t even know they exist.
- Promote what works. A little Facebook advertising can go a very long way. Advertise your page to get more followers and boost the really good posts to increase engagement.
Give me a call if you want to boost your Facebook engagement.